“It’s not just what substances you put on your skin. Inappropriate inflammation is rooted in diet, how you handle stress, how you rest and your exposure to environmental toxins.” – Andrew Weil
I never really had a skin care routine until my early 20s. In high school, I rarely wore make up and I’d use Dudu Osun (black soap) to wash my face. In college, I started wearing more make up and I would simply wash my face twice daily. As I got older, I started getting more intentional with developing a skin care routine that worked for me. One of the most common questions I get is what I’m using in my skin. In this blog I want to answer the question as thorough as possible.
Before we get into the products I use, I want to lay a foundational tip. The success of your skin care routine is determined by your diet and lifestyle. No amount of products you put on your face will yield a spectacular result like the work done on the inside. This means that the things you put inside your body is more powerful than what you put on the surface. I ensure to include lots of fruits and vegetables in my daily diet and I drink lots of water. In addition, I exercise often and I move my body 6 days a week. All these are key in my daily lifestyle and it helps my body in cell regeneration and removes toxic waste that can affect my skin health.
Once your diet and lifestyle is set, we can dive into tips and products that supplement healthy skin.
- Wash your face twice daily: I wash my face in the morning and in the evening.
- Always wash your hands especially if you’re prone to touch your face often. Doing so will remove germs and oil build up that’ll likely transfer to your face.
- Wipe off your make up once you get home. This is important because it’s so easy to forget about your make up especially if you’re tired from a long day. I always ensure I wipe off my make up no matter what. Sleeping with make up is terrible for your skin because the oils and left over make up can severely clog your pores.
- Drink lots of water and eat your fruits and veggies. Water is a cleanser and it removes toxic from your body. This helps your skin look and feel healthier. Fruits and vegetables have vitamins and antioxidants that promote cell regeneration and radiance.
- Exfoliate Often: We all release dead skin which is why it’s important to exfoliate often. I personally use a scrub to exfoliate about 2-3 times a week.
- Neutrogena Make Up Remover Cleansing Towel: I use this to wipe my make up daily. One thing I love about this product is that it’s gentle on the skin. Also you have the option to get this make up removal without fragrance. You can purchase this from your local grocery store or online.
- Dessert Essence Creamy Oil Cleanser: I started using this oil in 2017 and I have nothing but great reviews. This cleanser strips away the impurities in my skin and it’s great for removing make up as well. I purchase this from Sprouts but you can get it in any grocery store or online.
- Dessert Essence Revitalizing Oils Moisturizer: This products is great for moisturizing after a wash. It’s easy to use and it lasts a long time on the skin. I purchase this from Sprouts but you can get it in any grocery store or online.
- Minimo Turmeric Face Scrub: This scrubs helps to fade dark spots and increases radiance in skin. If you want your face to glow, this is the product to use. I use this twice a week. I purchased this from their website.
- Ede Skincare Mocha Scrub: This scrub is soo yummy! Not only does it smell great, but it feels amazing and leaves your skin feeling smoothly and velvety. I use this product on my face and body. I use this 3-4 times a week. I purchased from their Instagram page.
- Pure Tropix Ingrown Hair Prevention: I suffer from ingrown hair on my chin and neck area. This is from tweezing my chin hair. I use the exfoliator to scrub every day then I apply the soothing oil. This product is truly magical. I started using it in 2018 and it’s worked wonders. I purchased it from their Instagram page. They also give 10% off when your sign up with your email.
- Pure Tropix Scar and Blemish Cream: This product is great for treating scars and blemish one your skin. I use it daily to fade dark marks from acne, ingrown hair and more. I use it on the affected spot daily. I had a skin reaction earlier this year and this product helped to treat the scars from the reaction. I purchased it from their Instagram page. They also give 10% off when your sign up with your email.
- Yuja Niacin Blemish Care Serum: This product works wonders on blemishes! It also helps with hyperpigmentation. I use it daily. I purchased this from a Chinese Beauty Shop in China Town Houston, Texas. However, you can find it online.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Sunscreen: Using sunscreen is so important in your skin health. Sun screen protects your skin from damage. I use sunscreen daily especially when I’m going out. I purchase this from HEB but you can get it in any grocery store or online.
Here’s how I use my products daily.
These are things I practice daily. One thing I’ve learned is that consistency is key. In order to have a better skin, you have to be willing to be consistent.
I hope you find these tips useful in your skin hair care. Would you like me to cover any other topics? Also, how do you care for your skin? Please leave your comments below. Thanks for reading beauties! Until next time, you can keep up with me on Instagram @itsdeborahqueen.